Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sharing Time...?

Demographic: Children age 7-11

History: We teach the 7-8 year old kids in primary. We have one child who we were told was a "troubled" or always in trouble child, but we kind of like him, he just needs a little extra structure, and he really takes you for your word. We'll call him Eddie.

Lesson: Our Body is a Temple

Question: What are some bad things some people choose to do/put into their bodies?

Answers: Alcohol, Coffee, Tattoos, Drugs (picture of a needle), etc...

Question: What are some good things we can put into or do for our bodies?

Answers: Eat nutritious foods, drink lots of water, don't stay up late, exercise...


Lesson Excerpt 1:

Teacher: I feel very strongly that you should never never drink alcohol, I have a friend who is my age (35-ish?) he wasn't drinking, but he was hit by a drunk driver, and now he can't do anything for himself. I worked at the nursing home where he lives and he can't feed himself and he wears a diaper. I had to change his diaper, and he is my age! And all because of alcohol.
Kids: Um, really not sure what to do with that.


Lesson Excerpt 2:
Eddie: Um, excuse me, why do you have a picture of a needle?
Teacher: That is our picture representing "drugs". People who do drugs sometimes inject them with needles and the get track marks and awful scars on their arms. These things give you a high (8 year old brain: 'they say "Hi"?') for a moment, but they don't make you truly happy. ('What does "Hi" have do do with being happy?)
Eddie: Um, excuse me, what about when I go to the doctor? Are his shots drugs?
Teacher: Yes, doctor's give you drugs, but that is not like the drugs we are talking about.
Eddie: Um, excuse me, do doctor's ever give you shots that aren't drugs?
Teacher: I don't think so.


Lesson Excerpt 3:
Teacher: It's important to get a good night sleep. Most of your parent's probably have you go to bed at a certain time because you need your rest.
Eddie: Um, excuse me, what about New Years Eve?
Teacher: Well, there are exceptions like that. It's okay then to stay up and eat and make toasts and play games with your family.
Eddie: Um, excuse me, what if you have to study for a test, can I stay up late then?
Teacher: I would say that would be a bad choice, because you should have managed your time more wisely (I just barely learned to manage my time and I am 27!) and done your homework when you got home from school.
Eddie: Um, excuse me, what if your teacher only gave you one day to study?
Teacher: Teachers don't do that, they always give you at least a week.
Eddie: Um, my school isn't like that.

Everything I never needed to know I learned in Primary.


4 witticisms:

The Highland Hill's said...

very interesting...i teach the 7-8 yr olds too...i've been teaching them for about 1 1/2 years and yes everything you ever need to know you can learn in primary...

one of my girls said that a bear was scaring her one day and her little colt broke out of its pen and came and kicked the bear in the nose and the bear ran off...prayers are answered she said... :)

I have 10-12 kids depending on the sunday...but they are great kids...I love it when they see me at the grocery store or somewhere and they scream out, "Hi, Bro. Hill"....thats the best...

enjoy your class its probably the best age group in primary...

Milmonster said...

um, excuse me, What if i dont like toast? do I still have to make some if I want to stay up? what will happen to the toast then if I dont eat it?

other kid: Cinnaon toast cruch is good...

other kid: I like luckey charms.

other kid: Leprechaun's are Irish.

Other kid: Jesus was Jewish..

Other kid: Jesus is not a leprechaun.

sometimes I like to see how far a tangents will go.

Hoss.Rose.MiniB said...

Oh, we love our class! We were just observers in this little scenario, we just couldn't reign in Eddie! All of his questions and comments were very valid

Anonymous said...

That's intense Rose. Kids are really smart these days, I think it would make my head hurt to explain that to a primary class. Sweet tangent Milmontster:)