Saturday, August 23, 2008

Local Olympian: Gold Medal Worthy?

My dad really loves the Olympics. I mean, really loves the Olympics. We're talking all Olympics, all the time. He loves them so much that he wanted to try his hand at an all new obscure Olympic sport, right up there with trampoline jumping (What?! When do you catch the dream of becoming the gold medalist in jumping on a trampoline?). We'll call this all new sport, ah, "How much weight will my ceiling support if I climb up in the attic and stand on it, between the studs!" or maybe "Man vs. Drywall". Kind of has a nice ring to it, don't ya think?

We missed the mount, and most of the routine, but here he is coming into the dismount. This takes incredible control and upper body strength.



Nice look at the judges, confidence or surprise at the "success" of the routine?
Not sure, but eye contact is always good.
Here he is demonstrating his
"I can dangle my entire body using only one arm for support"
move. Very difficult sequence.



After the dismount, gazing at a job well done.
Who won, the ceiling, or Dad?
At first glance, I would say definitely Dad.


At second glance, the great silver chest/back that is my Dad probably has more painful and longer lasting damage than the drywall.


In his post event interview Mr. Mil was quoted saying,
"I felt like Harry Potter traveling through the flue network. One second I was in the attic, and the next I was in the kitchen."


As the only competitor in this event, Dad was awarded the gold medal.
What a guy, an Olympian and a Grandpa too.

9 witticisms:

Mil said...

Damn, and those were my favorite two most well placed can lights too

Milmonster said...

We can't stop laughing. Sorry dad. It does look painful. Luuuke, I agree. On the bright side maybe it speeds up the demolition. Oh, probably didn't want to demo the ceiling that is already finished.

Bone Junior said...

I'll definitely have to include this tidbit in my forthcoming book, "How To Build a House in Thirty Days."

Milmonster said...

i think you might want to swap years for days.

em said...

Oh FIL Mil, doesn't anyone out in cyberland feel your pain?? I think I would, a little, except it's way too hilarious!

I'd have to deduct at least .8 of a point for your dismount, however--your knees should've been straight.

I'd also have to deduct 5 points for the outfit (it would've been all 10, but those booties actually gave you bonus points).

Final score: 8.2

The Little's said...

Your blog is so fun! Thanks for adding me.

The Highland Hill's said...

definitely fun to see your family again...and what a great moment to share w/ everyone... :)

Are your parents in the same house? Are they remodeling the whole thing... was that the kitchen where he fell through?

I think we're coming to visit the old stomping grounds in Nov...Lane Hill is getting married...

Hoss.Rose.MiniB said...

Yup, same house, still remodeling, the whole thing, and that was the kitchen. I think it is a lifelong project for my dad.

Haven't thought of Lane, well probably since I was 17. Didn't he have a crazy girlfriend, is he marrying her?

Hoss.Rose.MiniB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.